I apologise for the long break from blogging. But I’m back and that’s what counts!
On this wintery rainy day, I thought I’d share with you a recipe for a nice warm dessert. I made it with the kids the other day and they just loved it. I invented it as I was desperately trying to find a healthy dessert option for us to make together.
Have a look! Baked apples with walnut/cinnamon/maple syrup stuffing. If you could only smell it!
First of all, we called them Apple Lassies. The ‘Lassies’ comes from our initials L (Laith), A (Alia) and S (Selma) and then the name evolved to Lassies. Corny, I know, but it stuck!
Making them is so simple! Have a try yourself and let me know of any variations you add.
- Preheat the oven to around 250-300F
- crush some raw walnuts and mix them with cinnamon and organic maple syrup to make a yummy stuffing for the apples
- Then cut the apples in half (I use a combination of red and green apples, whatever works for you). and core each half deep enough to add the stuffing.
- Put a tiny amount of butter into each apple half and scoop in a generous amount of the walnut stuffing into it.
- Put the apples on a baking sheet and pop them into the oven for about half an hour or until you start smelling the wonderful aromas. I keep them until I see the apples have reduced in size and there’s a good amount of sizzle and smell.
- Take them out and enjoy! But be careful, they can be hot!
- When I serve them, I also give topping options of plain cocoa powder, a sprinkle of dessicated coconut, or more maple syrup. You can choose your extras! See the picture above
They make a wonderful wintery dessert and the cinnamon/apple/walnut aroma goes wonderfully with the holidays!
Enjoy and please feel free to give them a different name!
If you haven’t done so already, don’t forget to sign up on my website for more good stuff www.AliaAlmoayed.com