To me, fasting is like going into silence. It is only when everything is quiet that the body can really start healing.
So I decided to venture into a 4-day juice fast detox.
Armoured with a lot of passion for health, and a huge curiosity for how the human body works, I packed my bags and headed to the Turkish coast for a 4-day attempt to rid my body of all its toxins.
Thanks to my friend A. for the badly needed support
No Food at all!
So for a whole 4 days, I had nothing to eat. I’m used to fasting during Ramadan but I’ve never had to do it for that long, continuous. You eat nothing AT ALL for the duration of the detox. The theory is that you rest the digestive system completely so that it gets the chance to clean itself and rid itself of toxins.
Throughout the day, however, you have lots and lots to drink: fruit juices, vegetable juices, wheatgrass juice, water, herbal teas, vegetable broths…
I must admit, there were times when I would be starving.
During the first couple of days, I got a surge of energy which I was very pleased with. But on days 3 and 4, I experienced many detox symptoms such as nausea and extreme fatigue. It felt like my body was undoing years of damage. Yes, I had many years of horrible eating and lifestyle habits that I still pay for sometimes. In fact, a health condition is what made me discover natural health and made me decide to become a nutritionist (but that’s another story..).
And while you fast and drink the juices, you also aid your body in eliminating the toxins more efficiently through the colon (colemas, colonics, etc.), daily steam and sauna, and lots of herbs and supplements. Oh, and I made sure to get lots of sunlight, for the amazing detox benefits of vitamin D.
NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT A DETOX PROGRAMME ON YOUR OWN. MAKE SURE YOU DETOX UNDER PROFESSIONAL SUPERVISION. Not all detox programmes include a juice fast or colon cleansing. You must find what suits you best and find a professional to help you with it.
This is some of the stuff that people eliminate during a detox juice fast. It’s called mucoid plaque. It’s a combination of all kinds of toxins accumulated in your colon over the years that have been stuck to the walls of your digestive tract. I know it looks disgusting, but once this stuff comes out, you feel 10 years younger.. well, roughly
If you’re not so convinced that the colon is affected by what you eat, have a quick look at this short video. It’s certainly eye-opening!
10 Things I Learned while on Detox
- The detox process is completely unique to each person. My experience will not be yours. Your reaction to the detox will depend on your level of toxins, your age, diet, lifestyle, and many other factors.
- Everybody needs to detox, no matter how healthy you think you are. Toxins accumulate from pollution, impure water, additives in food, hormone treatments, medication, chemicals in food, mercury amalgam fillings, vaccines, and many other sources.
- A healthy body should be able to eliminate toxins through the liver, however, most people have more toxins than their body can handle, which makes it necessary for them to detox regularly.
- We must respect the digestive system. All disease and healing is reflected in the colon. A healthy colon = a healthy body
- Most people opt for quick solutions. Cleaning the colon is one way to detox but your diet and lifestyle should also be changed to help you detox every day. Are you drinking enough water, are you eating salads, are you lowering your exposure to processed foods and sugar.
- The detox effects are not linear. You can feel a high one minute and a slump the next. Your body will go through cycles of energy and health. You cannot predict your detox reaction. You must just be a spectator, respect the miracle as it unfolds and ride the wave.
- When you detox, it shows in your eyes, your skin, your energy levels, and even your behaviour. Many of our ‘bad moods’ and depression are mere signs of an over-toxic body.
- Most people don’t chew their food properly. I was guilty of that myself. I learned to chew each mouthful until it became a complete paste. Oh, and don’t drink during the meal. These two basic nuggets of wisdom can work wonders for your digestion.
- Hunger is very much emotional. Most of the time, I was hungry because I remembered food or smelled it, not because I was physically hungry. Often, the fear of hunger is worse than the hunger itself. Most people eat more than their body requires.
- Nature and beautiful scenery can be very helpful when you’re detoxing. The Turkish coast is one of the most beautiful I’ve seen. As one friend put it, “Just being in Turkey is detox”.
I want to detox too!
If this blog post triggered your curiosity, remember this:
The detox programme is tough. But the results speak for themselves. You excrete years worth of toxins and ‘junk’ from your body. Your eyes and skin get a glow, you sleep like a baby (a good baby), and your tummy becomes totally flat!
If you would like to go to the same place I went to, leave a comment below to let me know and I’ll send you all the relevant details.
I loved the place so much that I convinced them to give a special gift to everyone who comes through me! Remember to mention that you came through Alia Almoayed.
How’s that for incentive
For now, remember to sign up on my website for the latest: www.AliaAlmoayed.com